Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Craft Tutorial: Vintage fabric tree

I first saw these in the Stars Antique Mall in Portland this weekend.  I just loved them, I snapped some photos on my iPhone and came home and made myself a few.  I had everything on hand just needed to stop at the Dollar Store to pick up some poster board.  Here is what you will need to make these fabulous fabric trees:

Poster Board
Glue Gun
Fabric scraps (vintage table cloths, burlap, lace curtains) 


 I started by rolling the poster board into a cone shape and taping so it would stay that shape. I also needed to trim the bottom so it
was even. 
 Next i put one drop of hot glue on the inside of the fabric to glue it together and to form a sort of loop at the bottom.  Then I placed a line of hot glue at the top of the scrap and placed on the tree form.
 Repeat and mix up the fabrics you use.

 I found a pack of 5 of the glittered ornaments also at the dollar store and glued it to the top.  Bear with me this was my first one I made.  I think the second one (pictured below) turned out better.  
 The cone was taller and more narrow.  I need to figure out how to 'finish' the top so it looks complete. 
 The next two photos are the photos I took and what inspired me to make these.  I plan on making a few more and using them to decorate.  


Have you put up your tree yet?

No comments: