Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Coupon Challenge

How many of you have watched the new TLC show, Extreme Couponing?  Kristen (my brother Marc's  fabulous girlfriend) and I have been watching and taking notes.  We are both trying to figure out the science behind this art of saving money.  Anyways since this show has aired we have both tried shopping the sales at the local grocery store and looking for coupons and then trying to find double coupons to see what our end price is.  Let's just say that we have both failed at our first attempts.  This brings me to my coupon story for today.

My mom and I were at the North Bend Outlets shopping for slacks, a dress shirt and tie for Jay to wear to my sister's wedding in May.  After paying for my things the cashier handed me two coupons that printed out at the end of the transaction showing a $5 savings at the 2 nearby stores.  Me being the Extreme Couponer that I am (please insert laughing here) I read the coupon, it read Take $5 off a purchase of $5 or more, TODAY ONLY! I looked at my mom and said this is a challenge for us to find something for $5 and then use the coupon and pay only tax.

After browsing through the store mom spotted a bucket that was filled with socks for .99 cents each.  I promptly grabbed the 6 cutest pairs and proceeded to check out.  Well it worked.  I ended up paying just $1.02 for 6 pairs of socks, and my receipt showed that I saved $25.06!!!  I would say that was a successful coupon transaction, wouldn't you?


Before you all start sending me emails saying there are only 5 pairs of socks here, let me be the first to tell you that the teenager had already snagged a pair before I could get a picture.



No comments: