Monday, November 28, 2011

White Chicken Enchiladas

Who is hungry?

If you are looking for a new twist on the ole enchilada recipe you have, please give this one a try.  I found this Pioneer Woman recipe and changed it up a bit. We had our old favorite neighbors over for dinner on Sunday evening so I decided to make a double batch.  The following recipe is for a regular 13x9 single batch.  Trust me you might want to double, this recipe is just that good. 

~~~~~~~~
You can cook your chicken any way you like. My favorite way is to place your frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts in the crock pot with half a jar of Pace Picante Salsa and let cook on high for 6-8 hours. 

Start with 3 cans of Whole Green Chiles, drained and diced. If you prefer you can buy the already diced ones. 

Next I grabbed a handful of the white corn tortillas.  You actually only need about 16 to fill a 13x9 pan. Add about 3 tablespoons canola oil to a small skillet over medium-high heat. 

 Fry tortillas about 15-20 seconds and then place on a papertowel covered dinner plate.

 I usually place about 4 tortillas on the paper towel and then layer and repeat.

Next add one large diced onion and 1 tablespoon canola oil to a medium skillet over high heat for about one minute.  Just enough to saute. 

Then you will add your shredded chicken and half of your diced green chiles and 1/2 teaspoon paprika, stir to mix well.

Pour in 1/2 cup of Heavy Cream and stir, allowing the chicken mixture to get hot and bubbly. Turn heat off and set aside.

I added a can of corn, drained. Give it another good stir. 

In a seperate large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter. 

Once butter is melted sprinkle in 2 tablespoons flour and whisk together over medium heat for one minute.  

 Next pour in 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth, whisk together for another minute. Then add the remaining half of your chiles and reduce heat. Add 1 cup sour cream and mix well.

Finally add 1 1/2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese or pepper jack (I used a mix of both)and a 1/2 teaspoon paprika. Stir to melt over low heat.  Season as you wish with salt and pepper. 

Looks delicious right?

Now the fun part begins. 
Spoon chicken mixture into tortilla.

Top with plenty of cheese and roll up. I call this the fold and load portion of the recipe.
Place seam side down in a greased 13x9 casserole dish. 

Looks good, but just wait. 

Now you can pour the cheese sauce you made over the top of the enchiladas.  I topped with the extra cheese I had left. 

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. 
I topped with Tapatio and fresh cilantro.
Feel free to add sour cream, avocado and salsa. 

I served with mexican rice and a salad. 
This was so creamy and delicious.  I will definately make this again. 
Let me know if you tried this recipe out and if you made any changes to it. 

See you tomorrow!

No comments: