Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Today's letter is...

B. 

For broccoli and butter.
Not together, although that is good.
I have a Costco sized bag of broccoli florets that I need to use up.  Lucky us, today school was cancelled for Josie and we have quite a bit of snow at our house that I didn't want to chance driving to work (yes I am not a fan of driving in the snow) so I decided to start baking.  It is 10:32 a.m. she is still sleeping, snow is still falling and I have my first broccoli dish in the oven. I scoured through recipes to find one that I had all the ingredients for and or that I could improvise a little. 

Here is what I made:





CRUSTLESS BROCCOLI Quiche

1 tbsp. plain dry bread crumbs
2 tsp. butter
1/2 c. onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped broccoli, thawed & drained
4 eggs
2 c. skim milk
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
8 oz. sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
3 tbsp. flour


Grease 10 inch quiche dish or other baking pan. Sprinkle with crumbs. Set aside. In a nonstick skillet, melt butter. Add onion and garlic and cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Squeeze broccoli dry between paper towels. Add to skillet. Cook, stirring often, 1 minute longer. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Beat eggs lightly in a large bowl. Slowly stir in milk. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper. Add cooked vegetables. Stir to blend. In medium bowl, mix cheese and flour. Stir into egg mixture. Pour or spoon into quiche dish or casserole. Bake 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes. Serve.

Butter.

Melt. 

The other day Jay and I were grocery shopping at Fred Meyer and were looking for a better butter.  The color and packaging of this product immediately drew me to it.  It was reguarly $5 on sale for $3.48 so we decided to buy one.  Well we loved it.  Jay went online and found a $2 off coupon which would make it $1.48 - so being the good price shoppers that we are we went back the next day and bought 4 more.  Lucky us we found that you can freeze these.  So now we have 4 frozen.  

It is made of all the 'good fats', coconut, flaxseed, palm fruit, canola and sunflower.  All organic and rich and creamy.  

If you are interested in trying out this product  go to their Facebook bage, like them and you can also receive a $2 off coupon.  I also saw that QFC carries this butter as well. 

No comments: